Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Another One Gone

Since it looks like I’ve got some time off, I guess there’s no excuse for me to not be writing. And since I’m not working there’s no reason why I can’t be reading the news and finding interesting things to write about.
Why is it whenever someone in Israel makes a bold move and tries to create a middle of the road government that is willing to reach out for compromise they die? First it was Yitzak Rabin being gunned down for trying to make peace; and now Sharon has a brain hemorrhage right before he’s about to campaign for his new centrist party. Is Dick Cheney behind this? Is Syriana really true?
I am a firm believer that if we want peace in the world, we need to start in the Middle East. If those guys can find a way to lay down the guns, then everyone should be willing to lay ‘em down.
But what is the reality of the Middle East, or mankind for that matter? We need war, it’s one of the ways we die and keep the cycles of life going. There’s disease, there’s murder, there’s accidents, there’s natural causes, and there’s war. It’s a natural part of our lives and it’s something I’m afraid is here to stay.
But you have to admit that there’s something so symbolic about the Middle East, right? The birthplace of three of our major religions. The home to Abraham, Jesus, and Allah. I believe that the concept of I am my brother’s keeper and swords into plowshares was born in this neck of the woods.
And for three thousand years it’s been the site of most of man’s most vicious wars. Gotta love those crazy Semites, they love to war it up. And now the land of love has taught us all about terrorism.
So what’s the point? I think that the movie Syriana has it right. I think the U.S. and its oil baron clients like turmoil in the Middle East. It’s why GWB refuses to really try and make a dent in what’s going on over there. And it’s why no American president has ever truly finished what they started. Did you hear me Jimmy Carter?
Another on bites the dust. Ariel Sharon you will be missed. It was nice to see a real hawk find a way to move to the middle and want to make a difference in the world, not just to help a certain group of people get rich. Are listening Mr. Bush?

No comments: