Friday, April 28, 2006

Draft Day Delight

Oh boy it’s the NFL draft tomorrow. Do I watch? Do I sit on the couch and watch all the young, entitled kids get millions of dollars to play football while my wife works with spoiled brats for a pittance? I probably will. I’m a sucker like that.Who are my beloved Cowboys going to draft? Well, I am hoping that they get either Santonio Holmes or Jim Williams. Those two guys would really fill a serious need that we have and are the only guys who really feel like first round talent to me. And I watched all four hours of the college combine on the NFL Network.
That was a great afternoon, watching guys run and jump and do the shuttle run. That is the best part, actually. Big guys, three hundred pounders, doing the shuttle run around cones set ten yards apart, is amazing. It’s amazing that guys that big are that fast and that agile. It’s scary. I remember when my friend Jim, who is 6’4” and about three hundred pounds himself, got a try out with the Eagles and told me about the guys he was going against. He said these guys were freaks, fast and strong and mean. And I thought how scary that would be to get run down by someone like that.
I think my favorite draft was in 1976 when the Cowboys somehow made the trade that got them the first pick and they took Tony Dorsett. That was the steal of the century. The only one better was the year that the Lakers won the coin toss for Magic Johnson. Tony Dorsett came in and ran like the great back he was in college. He was tough, fast and consistent. That was great.
So here we go again. Hope springs eternal, right. There will be some great picks and some of the guys from Alcorn State and W. Kentucky Tech will be the big surprise. My favorite will be the guys like Ryan Leaf and Tony Mandarich, guys with huge reps and big egos who fall flat and never make it. You know, how we hate when our friends become successful? I just like it when the guys like Mel Kiper get it wrong; except when they play for the Cowboys. Those guys all better be amazing or I’m going to be pissed.

No comments: